Tracking a Moving Target
The world has changed. Accessibility to the internet and the mobility of commerce have inspired a new generation of shoppers- a generation united by their collective desire to experience the world in their own way and on their own terms. The desire for a truly connected customer experience have left many retailers to re-imagine their business in the context of the contemporary customer journey. Traditional, back-of-house operations, such as shipping and fulfillment, have come into the spotlight – not as traditional cost centers, but as an opportunity for genuine differentiation in a competitive world.
Mobility has ushered in a new era of transparency. From the moment an online order is placed, ownership is transferred to the consumer, and the “want it now” generation expects to be kept in the loop until they have their order in their hands.
The ability to track a package is easily becoming an important checkpoint in the customer experience. Not only do consumers want the ability to track their orders from their mobile device, but they also want to receive SMS communication throughout the shipping process letting them know each step their package takes: when it has been processed, shipped, out for delivery and arrival. All of this seems essential, but why aren’t retailers taking advantage? The gap between what customers want and what retailers are offering is still wide open.
Proactively offering tracking options to consumers has become an e-commerce best practice. Not only does it benefit your customers- it benefits you and your company as well. Here’s how:
- Providing tracking information encourages your customers to return to your website, or stay longer, to increase chances of additional purchases or cross-sell opportunities
- It helps minimize supply chain disruption, which can be very costly in terms of time, money and public reputation
- Your customer service team will thank you because it reduces the number of calls from customers inquiring about the status of their order
- It creates more opportunities for you to contact your customer by email or SMS to cross-promote new offers and deals
- Your business will appear more trustworthy and reliable
- You’ll set your customers’ expectations high and provide peace of mind
Track and trace can play a crucial role in fulfilling your delivery promises to your customers. Though this technology has been around for a while, it has never been used as widespread as it is today. Tracking shouldn’t be a mystery- keep your customers informed every step of the way and you’re on your way to creating the best possible customer experience.
Visit our website to learn more about shipping software or download our free shipping software white paper!